Thursday, January 28, 2010

iPlop

Let's get this straight, I am in no ways intending to venture into the realm of computer gadget journalism, but I do have feelings about the newly unveiled iPad that I think might appeal to people who don't have master's degrees in C++.


So, I've read some of the buzz. At first, as always, I was seduced by the beautiful luminescent color screen. I just can't help myself! My mind just stared swirling with scenarios of pulling out my iPad to do some very important in-the-moment blogging or something. Something that would be way too annoying to do on my puny little iPhone, but requiring a quick-draw that my Powerbook just wouldn't be able to accommodate.
You know - sitting front row at Dior for couture week in Paris, gleefully notating duchess satin whipped in to delicious swirling forms, like cotton candy or chantilly cream.





Yeah, this is a perfect moment for an iPad....

...except for the fact that there's no camera to capture the moment. Or video camera to record the way the cloth flows and folds as the model takes her pose. Apparently, there's only enough battery life to get through one 20 minute fashion show (maybe an exaggeration). Then, since there's only one imput/output port, I'd have to plug it in and wait for it to recharge before I can attach my external keyboard to finish posting.
Now, I have not abandoned all hope for the iPad. Personally, I think it's a wonderful idea, and once they give it some time on the market and really figure out how people can really used something like this, they can put together a much better product. It's got a strong skeleton, but it doesn't yet have the fluidity of their superstar gadgets like the iPod and iPhone. Right now, I see the iPad like a gorgeous sketch of an idea that has yet to be fully developed.


But, I admit, I'm a bit spoiled - I've seen some beautifully developed designs these past few days during Paris Couture week.

Givenchy showed a modern take on what I read to be a slick 1940s German caberet. Dark eyes, bright red lips, just enough embellishment to send home the showgirl reference - feathers, ruffles, gemstones. But that influence didn't dominate - Riccardo Tisci knows his audience. The collection was really about expert tailoring and beautiful draping, with sexy feminine embellishments.








 Over all, the collection seemed to tell of a high society woman, throwing her husband's Brioni tuxedo jacket over a beaded mini dress and some t-straps, and shimmying her way into a smoky jazz club in Montmartre. Wonderful!

Of course, I'm a big Dior fan, but I gave you some of my favorites from this season above.

Another collection that really spoke to me was Armani Prive. There was an obvious lunar theme that, although heavy handed at times, lent not only an ethereal quality to the fabrics, but also a type of space aged geometry to the tailoring that is refreshing for the typically more traditional house.















There were a many looks I liked! I could see these being worn equally by society ladies (black tie gowns), business women (feminine tailoring), and fashionistas (slim pants and jackets in space age fabrics). I'm adding that last suit to my fantasy wardrobe.




No comments:

Post a Comment