Friday, August 13, 2010

Woman Warrior....pt. 3

     I just finished reading the whole of the Harry Potter series, and I can't stop thinking about it. (As an added measure of masochism, I Josh and I finished the last season on The Wire within the same 24 hours.....right now I am like a ship lost at sea!) I am so impressed by J.K Rowling....It's just brilliant! The characters have become friends of mine, and I feel as though I could take a trip to Hogwarts at any time to visit my old professors.
     Clearly, I am a bit behind the curve when it comes to the Harry Potter craze, but when they first came out I wasn't allowed to read them. I attended a very conservative Christian grade school, and if teachers caught even a whiff of "witchcraft" in any children's literature, game, or toy it was banned immediately. Notices were sent to all parents strictly prohibiting Harry Potter books being brought to school, as anything having to do with witchcraft or magic was a kin to Satanism (not kidding about this!).
      But now having read the books, I have no idea how they could have come to that conclusion (although I am sure none of the teachers had read them). Every facet of Harry Potter speaks of moral responsibility, loyalty, family and making choices based not on what is convenient in the moment but rather what is good and right. Rowling's stories gracefully mature with the reader, taking on more trying subject matter as the characters age. There are such beautiful lessons to learn.
     And they're just downright fun! I can hardly wait to read them to my own children, when that time comes!

J.K. Rowling is truly a remarkable woman, not only for the beautiful work that is Harry Potter, but for the person she is. What a gift to have lived a life like hers and still have all of this joy and fun and imagination to share..........







No comments:

Post a Comment